Saturday 13 February 2010

Currently I've been given the task of refining the lighting in the hospital room, but whilst having a break from this, I wanted to go back to the shot of Ed lying in his bed. Simon told me a way of achieving rim lighting entirely through the use of a ramp shader, and so I thought I would give it a go:

It has changed the look of Ed's skin completely - less harsh shadowing, and a soft rim light all over. I think as an initial test it isn't too bad, perhaps too bright and he is less prominent as a 3D element in the scene.

And now a test using ramp shaders on the cabinet and vase:


This is the current light set up for Ed within Maya:

8 comments:

  1. That looks really nice! Not many complaints.

    I've been thinking Griggers, if you do the lighting for the entire room will the shadows and shit match up with the lighting in this shot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, cheers mate :)

    As for matching everything up, it should be ok. In theory its a case of comparing the settings in the Ed shot, and also playing it by eye, and plenty of trial and error...and if it all goes to pot...

    ants?..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grigs I don't know what your doing but the vase and cabinet look a lot nicer in the second render

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im not going to lie mate I hate these ramp shaders on the table and vase. Thye make them look far more saturated and wierdly reflective. It kind of works on Ed although I think it looks like a bad version of SSS. I hope you've saved this as a different version because I much prefer the render you posted on the team blog, its much softer and pleasing on the eye. Sorry mate. Alec when you do some actual work then you can have an opinion x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright then Edge if you're going to act like that fuck you I'm off to Splay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mate i didnt mean through a ramp shader i meant through a rim light render, so all you render off is the rim light which allows for more playability in after effects for example. I also saw a magazine that had an article on how to render like pixar but at £12 i thought it was a bit steep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks bad on Ed but great on the table, though it needs a bit more shadow, especially on the base of the vase. I would go half between that one, and the render on the team blog.

    ReplyDelete