Thursday 4 February 2010

I have started to work on the lighting of medium shot of Ed:


This is an absolutely awful first test render.

I haven't loaded most of the textures here, as I only wanted to experiment with the lighting first. I changed the colour of the tiling as I thought there was way too much white in the scene. It needs to be broken down.

Here I have added more texture and lights, softening the shadow. In Adobe After Effects I have adjusted the colours to give it a more warm look. Ed's skin is only a blinn shader at this point.

The textures of the machine finally applied. The occlusion render takes a while to render, so here I have used an old version (which explains the overlapping). More reflection, more warm adjustment in post. I don't like the brownish dirty colour here.

Here we go, seem to be getting somewhere. The lighting is working much better. Soft shadows and sharper spec and reflections on the bed posts and oxygen mask. I have changed Ed's skin to a slightly more tint of yellow and altering other texture attributes to get him look less luminous. More blue on wall.

White tiling, as Edgley requested. Not too bad, needs more texture and highlights, but doesn't swamp the scene with white. Render brightened in Photoshop.


...And finally, here I have lightened the side texture of the machine.

I am pleased with my progress, yet feel there is still much work to go to get this looking right. I have chosen this colour scheme as I felt that it would not be wise to drown everything out in white, however much the characters will stand out.

Improvement list:
  • Add moles/freckles to Ed's skin.
  • Slightly more texture added to the scene, i.e the bed pillow, sheet.
  • Alter wall colour to a paler blue/turquoise.
  • More work on the metal reflections and bump.
  • Correct the shadowing on Ed's neck.
  • More texture on the tiling.
  • Overall, the lighting slightly brighter.

9 comments:

  1. I'll start with the positives: the oxygen mask looks great, though the top part needs tweaking, and the render time is great but unfortunately it's noticeable.

    Negatives: Overall it needs serious amounts of colour, the back wall is grey/dark blue (which like you said needs changing) and so are the tiles, they need to go back a step to when they were white.

    The machine: compare it with the Wednesdays tests and it just looks grey and too dark.

    Again you've mentioned but the metal reflection is mental.

    Most of these problems though are I think are related to the lighting. It definitely needs to be brighter and when you say "adding more texture and more lights" how many lights are we talking about Grigs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on experimenting Grigs, nice to see the progression but here some areas I think need some changing.

    Ed's skin is reflecting like a mirror. That can be easily solved in the material. You mentioned weird shadows on Ed's neck. If we're thinking the same thing that will be gone with reflection off.

    The the dark, desaturation shadows cast by the machine overly contrast the blinding white of the bed.

    I think the reflections in the bed metal need to be turned down or off. It looks wet.

    Although you can see that it's reflecting I liked the texture and bump of the wall in render 2.

    I prefer Simon's machine texture but I can see what you're getting at with the machine being a clean, grey plastic or metal.

    The brownish tinting going on is my fault for setting the shadow colour to dark orange.

    The oxygen tube and mask look wankable.

    IMHO the second test render is the best. The light in the room will be bouncing around all over the place so all shadows will be noticable but faint. You get that in render 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I agree more light and softer shadows, but I wont be adding more lights, just adjusting the intensity and texture attributes etc. Looking over my renders now I dont know what came over me lol, and do you know the worst thing is? the reflection on the mask was the quickest and easiest thing to do!!

    I know that these aren't fantastic tests, but like what what Edgley said in his post on the team blog, we've got plenty of time to improve it. I keep looking at Up and would love to get to that quality (or near enough)

    Since I haven't heard from Edgley it must mean im off the team lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grigs, did you manage to download that er thing, that er I might wanna er look at?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, and I er have seen it and it is er brilliant...

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome, is there er any chance I er could grab that off you on er monday?

    ReplyDelete