Wednesday 4 November 2009

I decided to spend a day working at home, as sometimes it can be a bit distracting to work in the college environment. I concentrated on UV mapping the model for Splay, and then generating a texture and applying it to the model. Surprisingly, this took a long time to do, but it certainly wasn't a tedious process; quite the opposite. As for the textures themselves, I painted a couple of backgrounds using oil paints, making sure to apply thick layers of brushstrokes. It was impossible to scan them in because they were far from dry, so took photographs of these as best I could and then made alterations in Adobe Photoshop:


Phil had suggested a while ago that he could visualise a chalky, crumbly texture with possible painted elements for the character textures. A good source of reference for me was a student film called 'Someone', a surreal piece created using CGI. The statue/character is made of rock, but the texture is painted:


Here I have placed a few lights in the Maya scene; its nothing special, but I think textures do add more life to a character. More development is needed, and possibly more experimentation with the look and feel of the textures themselves:

No comments:

Post a Comment