Friday 2 October 2009

I've been enjoying working at college this past week, but sometimes it can be easier to work at home, without any distractions. I made this piece of concept in Photoshop, developing a thumbnail Phil had made of the village environment in Splay. I like the simplicity of the terrain, along with the tall structures which the characters inhabit, and the more simple it is, the more effective it can be, without being too overpowering for the story. I have stuck to a colour palette of ochres and browns, as used in Phil's work - personally I think these colours work very well, but I agree they need to be more vibrant, so I have also tried to add more light into the scene. I am happy with the texture of the buildings, and the softness of the lighting, but the style of the clouds and colouring does need a lot of developing...


After consulting with the team, I moved onto developing the look of the clouds - making them look more stylised and abstract, and experimenting a little with colour:

This was the first time I had properly used my graphic tablet to create artwork, so a mini breakthrough for me. I drew the clouds, then superimposed textures on it, changing the brightness and contrast to give it a glow. The team suggested I experiment with different types of colour schemes as many of these images look too similar. I really like this colour palette, but it would be interesting to see the results of different colour combinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment